Saturday, August 8, 2009

Casa Vieja

Me and my "guest eater", Austin the Tiger
(he insisted on the face painting booth!)
This weekend, we headed up to Bonham, Texas. My parents, my brother, L and I visited "Trade Days," basically a huge community garage sale that takes place once per month. I always feel guilty going to places like that. It makes me feel like I should buy something from each vendor's stand so they don't have to go home and eat cereal for dinner for the rest of their lives. I got a few things from the jewelry section, and I am happy with my purchases.


But, this is my food blog! So, on to the food. Casa Vieja was our destination, the place my parents referred to as their "Mexican Cruise." For their 25th anniversary this year, they had planned to take a cruise, but too many crises were happening and it foiled their plans. So my dad took my mom out to a few places, and they just got to pretend they were on a cruise...

As far as Mexican food goes, The Vieja did not disappoint! The ambience (and heat) really made you feel that you had been transported to Chihuahua City. And I loved that they gave each person at the table their own salsa. I had a lovely beef taco and cheese enchilada with a side of guacamole (which I have a serious love for...), rice, and beans. Everyone else had the chicken enchiladas, except my brother (who was conveniently disguised as a tiger) who had chicken fingers. (The part of the menu that said "North of the Border" was particularly amusing to me!)

Casa Vieja is a real Mexican place, and the only downside was the misleading menu. We all ordered the "lunch specials" but of course we did not read the fine (invisible) print that those prices only went for the weekdays.


I also have issues with Mexican food. Every couple of weeks, I will get a serious craving for some red beans and rice accompanied by some sort of tortilla smothered in something mexican tasting. However, when I get to the last few bites, it's an effort to gag it down. I always wonder why I do it to myself and vow never to eat another bite of authentic Mexican, but the cravings always return and I am once again slave to my palate. This is another food oddity I have, along with foods that cannot touch. But that is another post.




Food:

Service:

Ambience:


*Disclaimer: Bonham is out in B-F-E! My dad works at the VA hospital out there, so unless you know someone who lives there, you may never get to visit Casa Vieja!


He'd better get excited about eating out this much!

1 comment:

  1. This blog is very entertaining. I too like to think of myself as a food critic. We also LOVE to try new places. Most of the time it is a good experience, but sometimes, not so good. Have fun on your new Texas adventure, the food has GOT to be better than in Utah...they wouldn't know good food if it slapped them in the face and shook them upside down!

    ReplyDelete